Tuesday, March 17, 2009

So Busted...

Every year before St. Patrick's Day, we make a magic treasure box. The story goes that if you put the magic treasure box under the moonlight the leprechauns will find it, fill it with treats, and hide it for you to find. We never got around to making our boxes this year. We had gotten really busy and put it off and then wham- the day was here. John and I had already gathered together the various treats so we hid them anyway.

Upon finding the St Patty's loot Ari got really mad. She turned to me and said, "The leprechauns did not come, you and dad bought these things and hid them." We have made a promise never to lie to our kids, so I told her she was right. She stomped off very obviously angry about the situation.

Later, I got a chance to talk to her about it while driving in the car. I told her that her dad and I only did the leprechaun thing to help her have a magical child. We wanted her to have fun and we never intended to be liars. She told me that under no circumstances does she ever want to be lied to. She said that any lie we told her made her distrust us and she wanted to trust us.

I told her how proud I was of her standing up for her principles. I told her I hoped to someday be so strong and have such conviction. Then on the inside I suddenly realized that this conversation is not over.

I talked it over with John and I am going to give her the full scoop this evening. Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment