Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's better to give than to receive

Yesterday the girls and I were watching a Bratz movie. In the movie one of the girls is going to the mall with her mother to buy her friend a present. The mother says to her, "Remember, it is better to give than to receive." Of course such blanket statements always get me thinking and usually discussing with whomever might be unlucky enough to be around. This is the conversation that ensued.

Me: That is not true. Giving and receiving are impossible without each other so neither one can be better

Ari: No mom it is better to give than to receive.

Me: But Ari, you can't give until you receive. They are not possible without each other and you can't give something you don't have.

Ari: But she is saying it is better to give your friend a present than receive one.

Me: I know and I disagree with her. When I give you a gift I first had to receive something an idea, money, whatever to make giving the gift possible.

Ari: She is right mom, it is better to give than to receive.

Me: Okay Ari is it better to give a hug or receive one?

Ari: (Looking at me with an expression of you got me) They are both good mom.

Me: Then in at least that one situation it is not better to give than to receive, right?

Then we laughed about it. This is one of the many reasons I am glad we homeschool, the conversations and disagreements and differing viewpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment